In Episode 49, Mike and I continued our journey in attempting to video record and distribute the podcast. I found a way to mess up the sound by tweaking my microphone too much. It sounds like I’m underwater again. I’m sorry about that. Also, we re-capped some Manny G Recommendations that we wanted to come back to and give follow-up feedback on. Those previous recommendations included:
- Rob Hoos’ book on Modulating the Flavor Profile of Coffee. Mike bought this book, a manifesto on roasting, from Mill City Roasters’ site. He’s used it to try and solve the problems he’s facing while dialing the Costa Rican bean we’ve selected for the next Saguaro offering.
- The Stonecreek Coffee Podcast. Specifically Episode 37– they talk about barrel aged coffee. There’s some debate about using alcohol barrels for coffee aging. Some use it for storing cold brew, and some for green beans. How the alcohol affects the whole beans is up for debate, and how the cold brew survives the heating and cooling of the barrel aging process without becoming contaminated with bacteria is also a point of discussion.
- Coffee Courses at coffeecourses.com. Mike is almost finished with the free coffee roasting course and has high praise for it.
- The Aillio Bullet R1. Manny G decided to pull the trigger on the Aillio Roaster as well. It looks like we’ll be roasting buddies- swapping profiles and flavor notes as we seek to get the most out of the machine.
- The Espresso Forge device experienced a delay. Manny is paid up for the batch currently in production, but there was an unforeseen delay that’s kept this batch from shipping. Manny hasn’t received his machine yet, but is still convinced it’s a good deal, a good buy, and is excited to be a part of the Espresso Forge family. Well, when he gets it.
Thanks for listening.